Thursday 15 September 2011

Books..........


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Hunger_games.jpg


I am in a book club here in Noumea and have been for a couple of years now but never seem to have written about the books we have read or will read so I  thought Thursday could be the day I talk about books. I am going to start with the one I have just finished reading and will be discussed next week at our monthly meet-up. The Hunger Games. Here is a blurb written by the author Suzanne Collins-

In a not-too-distant future, North America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. As the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives. Written by Suzanne Collins   
  
Young adult science fiction, fast paced & not hard to read all equals a good book. I liked the characters, they weren't soppy as in the Twilight series(which I read). They have a bit of guts and determination about them, a bit of spunk. Everybody was likable even the badies! The theme of reality tv is so relevent to us at the moment with so much of it in our faces. I know it is in a grander scale in the book but who knows what our future holds for us!

Anyway we are a diverse bunch in age and nationality in our group so it will be interesting to see what everybody thinks but me I give it a thumbs up. I would suggest it to any young adult, boy or girl as I think they would enjoy it.

Let me know if you have read the book and if you liked it or not. I see the movie is coming in 2012 some of you may hang off until then!!

No comments: